Need help with steering.

Whats going on with your rig? Have any questions for others?
9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Need help with steering.

Postby joshp xj » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:43 pm

Getting ready to swap out my steering and Trac bar I just am having a hard time deciding. I talked to Toby but I hate to say I just can't afford him right now. I liked the rustys kit because it had everything I need but it sounds like their steering stuff is sub par. I am leaning towards the oro u-turn system. I am also considering jcr and iron rock. Any suggestions?? For some reason I just am having a real hard time with this.
joshp xj
Rock Zombie Outlaw
Rock Zombie Outlaw

Need help with steering.

Postby YeeP » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:30 pm

So are you doing drag link, toe rod and trac bar?

Also, why? What is happening that is showing it needs to be done? Maybe we can help find exactly the pieces parts.
YeeP
Rock Zombie Outlaw
Rock Zombie Outlaw

Need help with steering.

Postby joshp xj » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:32 am

Definately need a Trac bar. It's too short and my axle is shifted drivers side. When I do my alignment my thrust angle is way off.
As for tie rod-drag link I think it's just time. With the 35's it's just a matter of time before I bend or snap something. Right now the tre's look lime they are getting ready to bind on a flat surface, I can only imagine when I flex. I have gotten into some spots where I can't turn my front wheels so I plan on adding hydro assist, probably not gonna work on stock steering. Speaking of hydro I am planning on basically replacing the stabilizer with the ram is that ok? Or do I need both? I figured the ram should serve the same purpose.
I guess long story short I just don't feel safe cruising down i25 at 75 right now with my current setup. Thoughts?
joshp xj
Rock Zombie Outlaw
Rock Zombie Outlaw

Re: Need help with steering.

Postby YeeP » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:57 am

Makes sense. Funding wise, I don't know what you feel comfortable with, but I would recommend the, "Do it once, do it right" method.

Find a trac bar that has a frame brace, because you will eventually wear that out too.

You can replace the stabilzer with a ram, that is no problem.

What about going to the Teraflex high steer knuckle?
YeeP
Rock Zombie Outlaw
Rock Zombie Outlaw

Need help with steering.

Postby joshp xj » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:40 pm

I was looking at that too. I will take a second look.
Who makes a good tracbar/bracket combo? I was looking at t&t's.
joshp xj
Rock Zombie Outlaw
Rock Zombie Outlaw

Postby YeeP » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:09 pm

I might tend to look for one that changes the frame side bolt to a "front to back" combination as opposed to a "top to bottom". This will allow for more flex.

Frame side trac bar mount from ballistic. Definitely not "made for XJ", but you aint going to beat that price and setting up the rest of it is doable for an easy price.

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Pan ... _1441.html

Take that measurement of 4 inches from the bottom of the frame to the center of the bolt hole, and go see what your factory one is to the middle of where the bolt is that goes through.

Interesting idea here. Doesn't look like they make it any more, but making your own cross brace would not be hard. The way this guy did it is cool, IMO, because it is adjustable.

I don't like the pure bushings as that would be a big wear point, but I am sure it "rides" softer like that... :?:
YeeP
Rock Zombie Outlaw
Rock Zombie Outlaw

Postby joshp xj » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:15 pm

I like that.
Now this is what I was originally looking at:
I would need help welding the bracket over the axle for the tracbar but the rest is pretty straight forward. I like it so much because everything i need is there and ready to go, no hunting around for parts that will work together.
http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.m ... y_Code=ste

And this,however I would still need to do a tracbar since mine is too short.
http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/mer ... ry_Code=S6
or under the knuckle
http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/mer ... ry_Code=S6

also this kit was recommended but im still needing a trac bar.
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant ... y_Code=XST

:???: :???:
joshp xj
Rock Zombie Outlaw
Rock Zombie Outlaw

Postby YeeP » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:36 am

That Rustys one looks very similar to what Toby built for Trev0r. As far as the right side knuckle setup. Seems to be working well for him. You should ask him about the setup, as I believe he had to add additional bump stop to the right side of his vehicle. That straight line from the knuckle to the pitman arm could not be cleared.
YeeP
Rock Zombie Outlaw
Rock Zombie Outlaw

Need help with steering.

Postby joshp xj » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:25 am

So if I decide to go with the rustys kit I will need to relocate the Trac bar and sway bar brackets. Anyone with a 220 welder and a steady hand???
joshp xj
Rock Zombie Outlaw
Rock Zombie Outlaw

9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to General 4x4